Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Seventy five to snow...


Some of our Walmart plunder.
This photo is dedicated to Emily Fish

Well, here we are. I’m writing this in the toasty warmth of our rental Jetta. We’re heading toward the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.  And its snowing.Perhaps I should back up a bit. Sunday June 5 we flew out of Hotlanta, had a short layover in Chicago and then arrived in Bozeman, Montana around ten. The flights went smoothly, except for a minor delay in Atlanta because ‘they were waiting for the brakes to cool down’. Sketchy. But everything went well, and we spent Sunday in a hotel in Bozeman. The hotel was just an average Days Inn, but they had a cheery man serving hot breakfast to those above the age of eighteen, but the sweet lady at the check in counter took one look at Winston and I and said we looked like we could eat. And eat we did. After a brief raid on the local Walmart  for provisions, set off on the two hour drive for Yellowstone.The drive was beautiful, the weather perfect at seventy five degrees. The terrain was just so different than anything we had ever seen before. We were in Yellowstone before we knew it.

The drive from Bozeman to Yellowstone.

We had been in Yellowstone for all of fifteen minutes before seeing bison. They were just lazily taking a stroll on the road. I got a bit worried for the man on a motorcycle in front of us. Bison are so cool. Its hard to think that not that long ago they were all over the US, but now they have retreated to a few parks. Sad, but apparently they are doing well in Yellowstone, they’re as thick as fleas here.
BISON!

One of the things that have blown me away have been the rivers. Yellowstone's rivers are numerous and large. I have kicked myself about a hundred times for not bringing my fly rod. Oh well, I don’t think we will have time anyway, what with so many other attractions.
We decided that before heading to our camp site at Bridge Bay, we should see the famous Old Faithful geyser. Old Faithful was sure enough faithful, and after several teases of steam and short water bursts, she gave off a huge eruption. It was incredible. Nothing like that back home. After good Ol' Faithful, we drove the rest of the way into Bridge Bay. Camp was set up in short order, thanks to the trusty Fulghum tent. It was mutually decided that a hot meal would go well, so we grabbed burgers and fries at the Fishing Bridge restaurant.


Old Faithful.

Because of the time change, we were all wiped out. We climbed into our cozy sleeping bags around eight and knew no more.


Winston in our campsite, which had just enough snow free space for a tent.




Until this morning. We awoke to find two inches of fresh snow scatter about, and the temperature hovering in the thirties. It is truly amazing how fast the weather changes. We are now headed up to Canyon to see what we can see in the gloomy weather. I say gloomy, but even the gloomy weather here is majestic. Already this morning we have seen a bear, from pretty far away. We couldn’t tell if it was black or grizzly. And several elk, a osprey and a bald eagle. And of course....bison.`
So, in short, we are healthy and happy. A bit cold, but happy. Sadly however, Winston has had a major casualty. His copy of Lord of the Rings sustained some water damage last night. A grievous wound, but he is of a doughty sort.

P.S Annnd this post was made from a lovely laundry mat that has free wifi. Score.





-The Trio

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Bison. They just do what they want and there's nothing we can really do. They don't have to look both ways before crossing the road because cars will - must - stop for them. I'm glad you've already experienced June snow in Yellowstone and a little bit of extremity-biting cold. Good stuff.

    Make sure you go back to Old Faithful to see the bajillions of geysers/hotsprings/etc there! And I hope you see wolves (unlike us :( )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got to see the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole. The drive out of Jackson is one spectacular drive. By the way, I'm a ex-Navy buddy of your dads. I've driven from Michigan to Oregon going through all the National ( well not quite all) of the National Parks on the way. The Yellowstone area was spectacular. You're very lucky to be doing this.

    ReplyDelete